So what really goes on in the mind, heart, and soul of a recently married man (8 months) who has found out that his beautiful bride is pregnant? What words can describe that feeling? What pictures, descriptions, and metaphors can even be used to explain the emotion felt when the words “you’re going to be a daddy” are heard? My mind has not stopped racing – my heart has not stopped pounding – my soul has not felt such elation as it does now after hearing the words affirming that, Lord willing, in 9 months, I will be a proud father.
I didn’t really know exactly how to “blog” about this incredible experience. I wrestled back and forth trying to figure out how I should capture these moments. When I look back on all this, what do I want to have written down? Should I write every day? Should I share my thoughts in detail?
Blah blah blah. That’s what I think. I don’t want to write a blog just because. I don’t want to just write a “documentary” about the wonderful creation of another human being and he/she being given to me by God. No. I don’t want that.
So what do I do want? Well, I want to share with all who wish to read, my thoughts and conversations with the little-one-to-be (we’ll call him/her “Shplinky”).
First, Shplinky is not in any way a derogatory term for this wonderful human being that is being created as we speak by the God of the universe. It is simply a name I am using as I don’t want to say “it” or always use him/her, he/she, etc. Shplinky is my name for the baby until I get to experience the wonderful feeling of holding God’s creation in my hands.
Second, these letters are not to come across as me trying to draw attention to myself. My desire is that I will make public my prayers and conversations about Shplinky so that you can follow along with me, see God’s incredible creation unfold in front of you, and maybe even see a pregnancy from a perspective you’ve never seen before.
Enjoy and comment all you want. I hope that these letters will not only inspire, encourage, and put a smile on your face, but that you will see God’s incredible design, grace, and sovereignty in the heart for His most prized and loved creation.
I am your first follower!! Yay!
ReplyDeleteJust wanted to say Im so excited for you and Jessica! Its such an awesome experience and I know you two are already very much in love but once "Shplinky" gets here, you'll love each other in a whole new way! Interesting temporary name for him/her hahaha! Well, love you guys and I cant wait for play dates with the little ones (even though that is still a ways away but Im still excited haha). PS please have a girl...I want to buy bows and dresses :) thanks!
I LOVE the name "shplinky".....we called Emily "ronly bonly" because of the story we read in the baby names book: a man was in the army and his dog tags were issued are ARBY Jones. He corrected them saying is name was R.B. "R only B only" and the next tags he got said, "RONLY BONLY JONES" so we laughed and called her Ronly Bonly because we didn't know she was a girl and didn't want her/him to be an 'it' or 'he-she'!
ReplyDeleteSuper Congratulations on the new addition to your family! I hope to meet Shplinky some day!