Dear Shplinky
Well, this is the first time I am writing to you. Is it weird that I am a little nervous? I guess it’s not weird because my nervousness is mixed with excitement, joy, amazement, and a little bit of crazy. There are so many things I want to write to you about. I want to tell you about every single thought going through my mind. I want to tell about everything I’ve learned in life. I want to tell you all about your mom. I want to tell you about your future family, Mimi and Poppa (my parents), Grandma Batman (your mom’s mom), Grandpa D (your mom’s dad), all your aunties and uncles, and so much more. I know it will happen soon…and I know you want to know all about it…be patient.
Shplinky, I want you to know how scary it is knowing that you’ll be here in about 7-8 months (if my calculations are correct, 33 weeks ;). I’m not really that scared about being your dad. I’m not really that scared about teaching you how to play sports, how to read and write, how to talk, how to be respectful to people, and all the rest of the stuff you will get to learn in life. I am mostly freaked that I won’t be able to share and show you your need for a Savior.
Proverbs 22:6 says, “Train up a child in the way he should go…” I know I am going to fail you as a dad. I am not perfect. I am sinful. I have made mistakes in the past, I currently make mistakes, and I know I’m going to make mistakes in the future. Yet, the greatest thing in the world is that God has provided a way for me to have a relationship with Him and have my mistakes forgiven through His Son Jesus who died on a cross for my sins. See, my greatest need in life has been taken care of. My standing before God is rectified because of Christ’s sacrifice, not because of my works. Now, my role as your daddy is to show you your greatest need in life.
Currently, you need things in order to survive. You are developing hands, arms, and legs right now. Your heart is developed and you have a heartbeat. Your brain is developed into 2 sides already. You are developing a liver and pancreas. You need blood. You need nutrition. You need lots of things as you develop in your mommy’s tummy. When you are born, you will need many things to survive. You will need oxygen to breath and lots of other things that I don’t even know yet (sorry, I haven’t had a kid before). Yet, the greatest thing you will need will be more important than oxygen…that can cease to exist. You will need more than food…that can be taken away from you (don’t worry; I’ll help you sneak your green beans to the dog so mommy doesn’t see). You will need more than water, which can run out at any time (your favorite soda will be Pepsi and not Coke btw). What you need little Shplinky, is to know and understand your need for a Savior…that can’t be taken away from you and is worth more than anything in the world!
See, although you’re super cute already…and you’re going to be a super cute baby…you’re sinful. Psalm 51:5 says, “Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me.” When you were conceived, you were conceived with a sin nature (thank your great, great, etc grandpa Adam for that). You, me, your mommy, and everyone were dead in our sins…but God, who is your heavenly Daddy, is so merciful and gracious. He gave up HIS Son so that we can be saved from our punishment. God gave up His son so that YOU…my child…can be saved.
My highest priority…my number one goal as a daddy…is and will be to help you see the need for the Gospel in your life – for salvation and for your spiritual growth and maturity. If I fail you in everything except showing you your need for Jesus, I will be a proud daddy. Jesus is the best thing in the whole world! He will never leave you. He always has your best in mind. He is truth. He will love you unconditionally!
Well, the first letter to you is coming to an end. I can’t wait to write you more! You have no idea how long I’ve waited for you!
Oh ya, a few things you need to be thinking about while you’re in your mommy’s tummy:
1. Country music is of the devil. Don’t let anyone tell you different.
2. Vegetables will taste delicious for about 4 years, and then you’ll see that although they are good for you, they taste like poop.
3. When daddy takes you to get a slurpy before dinner because they are the bomb, we still tell mommy that we are hungry for dinner, even though your mouth will be stained red and blue and she’ll know what really happened (you can blame me).
Hope you’re doing well inside your mommy. She is gorgeous and looks more beautiful every day. I’ll tell you all about her in the next letter I’m sure!
I love you.
Daddy
Don't hide things from mommy...then you won't get any little brothers and sisters if you know what I mean. :)
ReplyDeleteWell, temporarily hide things from mommy fully knowing that "mommy always knows everything" and that you "can't hide things from mommy." :)
ReplyDeleteDon't listen to your daddy about the country music! Everything else though you should listen to him about!!!
ReplyDelete