Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Letter # 8 from Daddy to Shplinky...your strong heartbeat

Shplinky,

2011 is here!  The year you will be born!  Last year the most amazing thing happened to me…I married your mommy.  2010 was the best year of my life!  2011 is going to be insanely awesome as well!  You will be born in the middle of 2011 (specific dates shortly to come).  As your mommy and I discussed some “new year’s resolutions,” I really didn’t have any (I’m not a big fan).  Yet, as I thought about it, there are really only 2: to be the best husband to your mommy as I can possibly be; to love her as Christ loves the church – and to be the best daddy to YOU as I can possibly be; to love you, give you grace, and to “train you in the way you should go!”  Shplinky, you have no idea how excited I am for you to be born, to hold you in my hands, compare your little fingers with mine, to watch your face as you sleep, and to hear your voice (even though it will mostly be you crying for awhile).

So today marks a very important day (not necessarily in your life, but for me and your mommy’s).  Your mommy got to hear your heartbeat!  It was pounding away, super healthy, at 156 beats per minute!  How cool are you right now?!  You are working buddy!  You are pumpin’ blood to your body and you are growing!  According to my speculations, you are the size of an orange, you can make a fist with your fingers (which I know will turn into shaking your fist towards me when you are hungry ha ha), and you are moving very frequently!  You are just a super-active baby!

It seems that everything right now focuses on your heart.  How big your heart is, how much blood is pumping through your developing body, and now hearing how fast your heart is beating!  Your heart is the focal point right now, and I want you to know that your heart will continue to be the focal point as your mommy and I raise you.  In Matthew 12:34 Jesus says to the Pharisees, “You brood of vipers, how can you, being evil, speak what is good?  For the mouth speaks out of that which fills the heart."

The truth of this verse really motivates how I want to parent you.  The truth Jesus is declaring is that the heart and what you have in your heart is what is most important because out of the heart is what flows everything!  The heart is the most important thing!  Shplinky, you need to know that I will always fight for your heart.  I will always fight to help your heart.  I will try my hardest to parent you, care for you, and love your heart – for that is most important.  You are going to do stupid things sometimes (especially if you have any of your Dad in you).  You are going to make mistakes.  You are going to have battles.  Yet, what is most important is your heart.  What is most important is that you know that I will love you and your heart no matter what.  You need to know that I will not train your behavior, but will try my hardest to train your heart.  That is all I can do; and I will do it because I love you!

It was so awesome to hear your mommy’s excitement about hearing your heartbeat.  I can’t wait for next week when I get to see you for the first time!  You are already bringing your mommy and I such joy.  I love you.

3 things to keep in mind as you get stronger and stronger:

- U of A still sucks and we will always hate them, no matter if they are better than ASU
- Keep sucking your right thumb so your left arm gets stronger; your left arm needs to be focused so that you can drain 3 pointers with that pure lefty stroke!
- If you’re a boy, you don’t have to wash your hands every time you go to the bathroom; if you’re a girl, you have to wash your hands every time!

Love,
Daddy


No comments:

Post a Comment